During the first cycle of events – throughout 2016, the OpenDataLab in Copenhagen zoom in on an urgent issue of our time: Integration. We explore how open data might work as a resource in service innovation aimed at improving the integration of Newcomers to Denmark.
Scoping the arena for a hackathon to bring open data and integration issues together, we explored three interconnected areas: To sharpen and define concrete challenges, we engaged people with relevant experience and expertise, as well as investigated the availability of data. Through meetings, interviews, workshops, field visits and numerous conversations, we identified three focus areas:
- Employment, Competences and Diversity
- Open Investigations, or Stories that beg to be told
On October 7-8-9th we hosted the event: Hack Integration. To ignite ideas rooted in actual needs several inspirational talks were given throughout the 2,5 days: Venligboerne, Red Cross, Foreningen Nydansker, Open Knowledge Foundation Denmark, a citizen passionate about open data as well as the crowdsourcing initiative Mapillary. Overall, 28 participants joined us for intense brainstorm, ideation and prototype development: A lively mix of newcomers to Denmark, activists and a wide range of students.
The result of a playful atmosphere and intense efforts:
- 6 pitches addressing the needs expressed in the inspiration session:
E-learning platforms for job-creation, private host-family opportunities, Sports centered bridge-building apps, mentor-networking, and a community-based translation application
- Excited participants and teams eager to follow-up in post hack meetups
- Continued support and networking from speakers across varied expertise and interests
- New friendships and ignition of new potential collaboration
- A common ground for students, asylum seekers, NGO’s and open knowledge enthusiasts
Read this inspiring story about our Hack Integration.
Immediately after the Hackathon the post-hack phase begins! This is a phase of evaluating and learning for the project team – as well as inviting all Hack Integration participants/teams to join a follow-up process to support continued development and networking through three focused meetups:
- Zooming in on the act of Pre-to-typing
- Strategic discussion of the Business Model Canvas
- Start-up funding, advice and inspirations
Read more about our post-hack experiences!